When staying in a major business or tourist area I’m usually a Westin / W / Marriott / Hilton type of guy. However, my trip today took me just north of Toronto and for an early morning meeting I wasn’t willing to make the commute from downtown. The choices close to the office were in the mid-scale property range and included Aloft, Courtyard, Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Homewood Suites, and Residence Inn. I went ahead and booked the Aloft “a vision of W hotels” as it was priced similarly to the other properties, recently opened at the end of May, seemed more fun and modern, and looked more similar to the upscale brands that I’ve become accustomed to (wow that sounds a little snotty). I also figured it was an easy way to add a few additional triple SPG points via the SPG Nice Choice promotion before my earning period expired.
- At first impression, it does feel like a stripped down W. There are exposed high ceilings, lots of different colored lights, and an altogether “chill” atmosphere presented upon walking into the lobby.
- As an SPG Platinum member there weren’t many additional amenities to be offered. There were two room types – Queen and King, and I received a King room. I did not receive a Platinum welcome amenity but I’ll sort that out at check-out. Wifi is free for all as are the gym and pool. Breakfast was also already included in the rate.
- Some common W features found in Aloft are the dark lifts with music and images being projected, Bliss products in the bathroom (via a dispenser rather than the individual bottles), and a backyard area that is similar to some of the W rooftops.
- The backyard was one of my favorite areas with lounge chairs, a fire, and drink service from the adjoining w xyz bar.
- The room is compact but includes a king bed, a lounge seat, desk, 42 inch flat screen, and rain shower. The bed was comfortable with a great duvet and pillows.
- re:fuel by Aloft is a grab and go station in the main lobby that includes cold drinks, ice cream, sandwiches, frozen dinners, fruit, chips, and candy. During breakfast there are hot items including eggs, french toast, oatmeal, and pancakes as well as muffins, danishes, and cold cereal.
- The pool is a decent size and heated and the gym is bigger than most other mid-scale properties. All equipment was new with a good mix of cardio and weight machines.
- Overall, I’m happy with the property and my choice over the other sometimes less modern mid-scale offerings. It’s a great deal at CAN 104 a night inclusive of breakfast. Aloft is definitely worth a look.