We chose to stay at the Le Meridien during our Coldplay Meet & Greet SPG experience down in Philly. When looking for hotels I focused on SPG properties, wanting to hit a few additional nights in order to qualify for triple points during the Nice Choice promotion. As I waited until last minute to pick the hotel, I first searched for the non-refundable rates and then reviewed my corporate rate for each property. There were no cash & points options available and with rates just barely above $100, I was not going to be using any SPG points…plus I had just spent an insane amount on the SPG Moment!
Westin- Non-Refundable $179 / Corporate Rate $159
Sheraton – Non-Refundable $124 / Corporate Rate $108
Le Meridien – Non-Refundable $150 / Corporate Rate $122
Upon arriving my nose was already picking up the LM smell that I’ve become obsessed with and it got only stronger as two doormen opened the doors for us into the lobby. The lobby was trendy and modern like most updated LMs and we were informed by the doorman that the building was actually an old YMCA. Very cool!
There was a short line for check in and we were offered a standard room immediately (2pm) or we could wait until 3pm and have an upgraded suite. We choose to wait and were even offered a changing room to get ready or shower. As the hotel encompasses the old YMCA you feel as if you are outside when you exit the elevator to head to your room, though the adjoining brick building is actually inside the hotel.
After a quick hour of sightseeing we returned to the hotel and headed up to the suite.
- Nice size suite for a city hotel, did not have to request the upgrade as a Platinum member
- Modern / updated decor and colors
- Amazing cloud bed, literally one of the best beds I’ve slept on…though not as good as the LM Bangkok
- Great A/C (it was over 100F every day during our trip in Philly)
- Very good shower
- Our room actually didn’t have an outdoor view, instead looking into the atrium. While this would normally be a negative, we loved how dark the room was once we closed the curtains and how there was no street noise at all
- Clean, spacious, and quiet room.
- While the suite was a good size, the normal rooms seemed pretty small
- The minibar was completely cost prohibitive…as most are
- No SPG amenity was offered at first though upon asking I was given the usual choice and selected the 500 points. there were no additional amenities provided in the room other than the free Wifi (no waters).
The front-desk staff, concierge, and bellmen at the hotel were exceptional in terms of service, directions, and information, though a big thanks is also due to the blog readers for some excellent restaurant recommendations. Everyone we came into contact with at the hotel was extremely friendly. The location of the hotel was also very central and Reading Market, City Hall, and Rittenhouse Square are all easily walkable.
I would definitely return to this hotel if I’m ever back in Philly.