Italian authorities have given the go-ahead for Emirates to proceed with their planned service between Milan Malpensa and JFK effective October 1st 2013. The route, which continues on to Dubai, will be operated using B777-300ER aircraft in addition. The flight will be in addition to the two existing daily A380 non-stops between JFK-DXB. The flight schedule will be as follows:
EK206 JFK-MXP 2220-1215 + 1 77W
EK205 MXP-JFK 1600-1900 77W
Emirates has already sent out an email to Skywards members offering double miles on the route “enough for an immediate reward on our partners, JetBlue and easyJet.”
What about redemptions? As mentioned in my last entry on the new route, the flights are still looking fantastic with great availability in first, business, and economy. This would truly be an easy way to get the entire family to Europe, if not for the lack of current EK JFK-MXP redemption opportunities. I normally recommend Alaska Mileage Plan, JAL Mileage Bank, and Korean Skypass for Emirates redemptions, but currently only one of these options is viable on the route if you’re not looking to continue on to Dubai. Korean does not allow for Emirates redemptions on JFK-MXP, nor does Alaska Mileage Plan (hopefully these will change soon). This leaves JAL as the only option, though the roundtrip pricing is very reasonable – 40K Economy, 65K Business, 100K First and currently no fuel surcharges being imposed on the route! Unfortunately, there’s no great way to accumulate JAL miles except via an SPG transfer. Of course, there’s the 5,000 SPG point bonus for every 20,000 transferred which brings the total SPG requirement down, but still requires quite a bit of SPG points. Most in the community already have an SPG personal and business AMEX, but if you don’t, you can earn enough for a free business ticket on the route (25,000 sign-up bonus for the personal and 25,000 sign-up bonus on the business card, plus the points for the $5,000 required spend on each card).
I’ll continue to update this post on overall award availability as well as any changes to Mileage Plan and Korean Skypass redemptions for this route.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
Already have / had the SPG personal card? This is the perfect companion or replacement to the SPG personal card above and includes all the same benefits. You can have both! You’ll receive your first year free and 25,000 bonus Starpoints after spending $5000 within the first 3 months . There is a $95 annual fee for this card after the first year. You can see full details for this offer and all the benefits here.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint® for all other purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in over 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights. Some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges.
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases and $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees