Wow, Travel + Leisure has released their latest tipping guidelines and they are steep, especially for housekeeping and the valet! Granted, these are for US stays, but I’ve never before heard of $5-$10 per day for housekeeping (I normally leave $2 per day in the US if I’m traveling alone) or $5 every time my rental car is brought around when using the valet. What do you think?
• Bellman: $1 to $2 per bag.
• Concierge: $10 to $20 for performing a special service, such as scoring tickets to a sold-out event or wrangling lost luggage from your airline.
• Doorman: $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour or in the rain; $1 for each bag.
• Housekeeping: $5 to $10 per day. Leave it at the front desk if you want it divided equally among all your housekeepers.
• Room Service: A service charge is almost always included in the bill. To personally thank your server, 5 percent will suffice.
• Valet: $5 when your car is delivered.