This is part nine of a fourteen part trip report from my travels to the UK, Malta, and Mallorca. This picture trip report includes my stay at the “Meliá” Beach House in Mallorca. The hotel just opened on June 12th and rates for my weekend stay were $291 per night without a MeliáRewards account or $277.14 with one. I decided to use a Hotels.com Welcome Rewards certificate (free upgrade included in the booking) and some MeliáRewards points (22,000). I booked the Hotels.com reservation for the first night with the hope that my upgrade would carryover to the second…which it did!
- Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse Newark (EWR)
- Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Newark (EWR)- London Heathrow (LHR) on Delta SkyMiles!
- Star Alliance Business Class Lounge: Terminal 1, London Heathrow
- Lufthansa Economy Class London Heathrow (LHR) – Munich (MUC) – Malta (MLA) – Frankfurt (FRA) – LHR
- Lufthansa Senator Lounge Munich – Terminal 2, level 4, departures G, opposite gate G28
- Lufthansa Business Lounge B Frankfurt – Terminal 1, departure area B (Non-Schengen)
- The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta
- Monarch Airlines Economy London Luton (LTN) – Palma de Mallorca (PMI) – LTN using Avios!
- Beach House by Meliá, Magaluf Beach in Calviá
- Le Méridien Piccadilly, London, UK
- Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford, Surrey, UK
- Hilton London Paddington, London, UK
- SkyTeam Lounge London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 4
- Delta Airlines BusinessElite London Heathrow (LHR) – JFK
The hotel is located on Calvià Beach in Magaluf. It’s very similar to Melia’s ME hotels (which are essentially W’s) and all restaurants and bars on property are managed by Nikki Group of Nikki Beach. In fact, the front desk mentioned that the hotel plans to switch over to ME branding for next summer.
As promised via the Hotels.com booking, I was upgraded to an ocean view King room and it smelled and looked brand new…
Unfortunately, the King was two doubles pushed together, though with really comfy bedding, pillows, and mattresses.
The bathroom is completely open and part of the room…
Now, the bathroom might have actually been a little too new. When I went to turn on the shower, the entire shower head and piping came detached from the wall…
Instead of sending someone to fix it, I was moved to an identical room on a higher floor. The working shower was excellent with great water pressure.
View from the “balcony”…you have a sliding door with floor-to-ceiling sliding windows, but there’s no terrace to step out on. Great views though…
Now, the best part of the hotel was the grounds…
Two separate pools (one adult only), great loungers with pillows and padding, and sporadic comfy seats throughout the property.
There didn’t seem to be many problems finding chairs but if you get out too late you’ll end up on the lawn…
There are a few supermarkets and convenience stores located right across the street from the hotel entrance…
Lunch was excellent and you could choose to sit in the outdoor restaurant area or make use of the poolside waiter service. I highly recommend the salads and fruit blend (essentially you get to select any variety of fresh fruits for a smoothie with or without alcohol).
While on the beach, the hotel itself has no beach chairs, but these can be had from an independent vendor for EUR 4 per person or EUR 7 for the day.
One of the non advertised benefits of the hotel is free admission to Nikki Beach right next door. I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not, but guests can easily walk through the small gate that divides the hotel’s adult only pool from the chaos at Nikki Beach…all free of charge.
Here’s that gate, just open the latch and your in!
If you are looking for a quiet poolside experience, Beach House is probably not the right place for you. The Nikki Beach DJ is housed right next to the Beach House adult pool and all music is also played on the grounds at the hotel. However, the pool in the back is a bit quieter and was only utilized by a few guests during my stay.
Overall I was very happy with my award stay – great room, new modern digs, great poolside services, and free admission next door. I spent one day at the beach (returning to the hotel for lunch and a few quick dips in the pool) and one day poolside.