Over the weekend, I heard from a source in Hong Kong that Cathay Pacific may be introducing an option for passengers seated in Economy Class to purchase a Business Class meal onboard.
This isn’t really a new concept. For example, US Airways has long offered a DineFresh option, where passengers seated in Coach on an long-haul international flight can purchase a “premium chilled meal” for $20.99, as an upgrade to the complimentary meal offered to all other passengers. Of course, these chilled meals are not the same meals offered in Business Class.
With many Asian airlines, a complimentary meal is offered on short-haul flights. For example, I was offered two options—a beef & rice option and a chicken & pasta option—on a recent flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok on Dragonair, a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific. In coach. On a 1.5-hour hop from Hong Kong to Taipei, I was offered a complimentary ham sandwich in coach.
Of course, this is just a rumor and I don’t have any pricing information. However, from what I heard, the Cathay Pacific option will not involve a separately catered meal; rather, Economy passengers would be served an actual Business Class meal. Since Cathay serves cup noodles for passengers still feeling hungry, this looks to be a quality over a quantity offering.
Most of the time, I feel that Business Class meals are only marginally better than Economy meals. They may be slightly higher in quality and be served in china instead of a aluminum or plastic tray. With many airlines offering complimentary beer and wine in Economy Class, booze doesn’t make a big difference either. Here is a meal I was served in Business Class on a recent trip from Taipei to Hong Kong.
Personally, I don’t think I would pay extra for a Business Class meal on a flight that serves complimentary meals in coach. Of course, this is without even considering some potential stares from other coach passengers…like “why is that guy getting real silverware”. Now…if only I could buy-up to a First Class meal…
How about you? How much would you pay to have an actual Business Class meal while seated in Economy Class?
Other Cathay News:
- Cathay Pacific A350-900 – New Details on Revamped Business Class!
- A Restaurant Critic’s Thoughts on Cathay’s In-Flight Meals…bit different than the BA bloggers!
- New Amenity Kits for Cathay Pacific in First and Business!
Cathay Trip Report Related –
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific First Class Hong Kong to New York – The Best Service in the Sky???
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific First Class New York (JFK) to Vancouver (YVR)
- Cathay Pacific First Class Trip Report – My Favorite FC Trip Ever? HKG-YVR-JFK
- rip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific First Class Vancouver to Hong Kong
- Trip Report – Cathay’s Newest Lounge – The Bridge in Hong Kong (HKG)
- Trip Report – Cathay Pacific Private Day-Break Room & First Lounges – Hong Kong
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific The Arrival Lounge – Hong Kong
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific The Wing First Class Lounge – Hong Kong…Cabanas, Tubs, & Ironing!
- Cathay Pacific Business Class JFK – Hong Kong (HKG) B777-300ER