It is customary for Americans to tip when dining out or taking a taxi. However, the idea of tipping others in the service industry can be less clear.
In particular, tipping hotel housekeeping has been somewhat of a mystery. Expedia recently surveyed over 1,000 American travelers and found that 30% do not tip anyone at a hotel. Of the remaining 70% who do tip, 46% tip housekeeping. If you do the math right (and I hope I did!), that means only 32% of American travelers will tip their housekeeper.
Guides to tipping in the United States from TripAdvisor state “many hotel guests who tip housekeeping staff leave tips daily before leaving the hotel, both to reward the person immediately servicing the room and in expectation of good service” and suggest that “$2-5 per night for housekeeper” is appropriate. CNN Money advises that travelers should tip housekeeping “$2-$10 a day depending on the quality of service and the hotel.”
What are your thoughts on tipping the housekeeping staff?