Hurricane Hermine is the first hurricane to hit Florida in more than a decade, and the sights you see on news are definitely scary. For people who are affected, our thoughts are with them, and we hope for a fast recovery. As hurricane Hermine was approaching Florida, hurricane Madeline was approaching Hawaii. It was weakened as a tropical storm as it got closer. However, with the inclement weather, many hotel closed for business and guests were asked to leave the property, including the Four Seasons Hualalai.
The Four Seasons Hualalai is a top celebrity honeymoon destination, yet it too announced it was closing for business on Wednesday.
Guests staying at the hotel were asked to leave and seek alternative accommodations. One guest posted on TripAdvisor:
Guests are being asked to vacate by 3PM tomorrow and will reopen Friday if are able to. Did not anticipate that happening and am now scrambling for alternate arrangements. Lots of others will be in the same boat, maybe including other lodging establishments closing also, looking for options. I just booked two nights at Lava Lava, but frankly am concerned they might close also — their accommodations are also very low lying – even more so than Four Seasons! Before I booked I did call, and they said right now they are planning on staying open, but… I am actually wondering whether I should double book another option at this point, before everything is snatched up.
Rooms at the Four Seasons Hualalai don’t come cheap. I can imagine guests paying top dollars for a top resort aren’t too happy about having to leave.
I can certainly understand the hotel’s decision, and I think it was made in the interest of safety. Not just for the hotel staff, but the guests themselves as well. I truly hope no one was severely affected by the storm in Hawaii.
Of course, we are also only seeing one side of the story. I am sure many things factor into the hotel’s decision. However, with the hurricane having been down-graded to a tropical storm, some people say the hotel was over-reacting. I am a bit torn. On one hand, some people say this isn’t all that uncommon in Hawaii. If that’s true, I’d think that hotel would have some contingency plan. I doubt the hotel guests are safer outside the hotel than inside. But at the same time, the entire region is affected, after all. I don’t think the re-booking guests into other hotels would relieve them of any liability.
Ultimately, this is a less than ideal situation. As someone who runs on the “better safe than sorry” mindset, I think the hotel did what they had to. I don’t envy people who have to scramble for accommodation in a storm like this.
Has something similar happen to you? What do you think of the hotel’s decision?