British Airways recently announced that they are launching a route to New Orleans, a destination they used to serve 34 years ago. While the flight isn’t launching until March 27, 2017, the airline getting the party started well ahead of time. British Airways will be operating a one-off charter flight from London to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, which falls on February 28, 2017.
You can only book the tickets on eBay, as part of a Mardi Gras package. However, three different packages are available, with each of them featuring a different hotel. You can either bid on these packages (with bids at around GBP 1,500 as of this writing), or buy them outright. The “Buy it Now” prices range from £3,250 (~$4,140) for the Hampton Inn to £3,750 (~$4,692) for The Troubadour.
10% of the proceeds will go to the charity Flying Start, which is a British Airways’ partnership with Comic Relief. You have definitely seen the “Red Nose Day” videos if you’ve flown British Airways before.
The packages will each include:
- Round-trip flights in Economy from London Heathrow (LHR) to New Orleans (MSY)
- Departs London at 10:00 am on February 24, 2017 (Friday)
- Departs New Orleans at 11:25 pm on February 27, 2017 (Monday)
- 3 nights accommodation (based on twin occupancy)
- All hotel and airport transfers
- Grandstand tickets to the “Iris and Tucks” Mardi Gras parade
This is chartered flight, so basically everyone on it will probably be in the Mardi Gras spirit. For the outbound flight, British Airways will also be throwing somewhat of a party onboard, featuring:
- Celebrity on board performance
- Live, on board Jazz bands
- Exclusive on board New Orleans cocktails and menu
Sadly, it doesn’t seem like folks in the US will be eligible for this auction (though nothing is stopping you from going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras weekend!) Only those over 21 and residing in Europe are eligible, and you will have to e-mail British Airways to be “pre-approved” before you can even bid or book.
Still, for those who are eligible, this looks to be a pretty exciting opportunity to have a Mardi Gras party in the air!