This is part five of a ten part trip report from my travels to South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe and covers my South African flights from Johannesburg (JNB) to Cape Town (CPT) to Johannesburg (JNB) on a Boeing 737-800.
- Delta ATL-JNB BusinessElite B777-200LR
- Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Kapama River Lodge – Kruger National Park, South Africa – Hotel Review
- Kapama River Lodge – Kruger National Park, South Africa – Safari – Game Drives – Bush Walk Review
- South African Airways Johannesburg (JNB) – Cape Town (CPT) – Johannesburg (JNB)
- Westin Cape Town, South Africa
- British Airways – JNB-LVI (Livingstone, Zambia) B737-400 and crossing the border into Zimbabwe from Zambia
- Microlight / Microflight over Victoria Falls with Batoka Sky – Zambia
- Bungee Jump over the Zambezi River off Victoria Falls bridge – Border between Zimbabwe & Zambia
- Elephant Hills Resort – Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
I ended up buying the ticket flat out as it was ZAR 1342 or $132 USD including taxes, though it was also available for award redemption with UA for 12,500 miles each way and $15 USD.
The flight was 2 hours and 10 minutes to CPT and 2 hours on the return back to JNB. We had an on-time departure on both flights and each surprisingly had full meal service in economy. Dinner to Cape Town included a hot chicken, lamb, or vegetarian option as well as complimentary liquor, wine, and beer. The return had only Woolworth sandwiches as it was scheduled for after 9pm, though alcohol was still served (and ordered by most).
The cabin was a bit dated on both ends, though a bit more modern on the return with LCD screens spaced throughout the Economy cabin. On the outbound I had booked my flight just a few days prior to departure and there were only middle seats left at the very back of the plane. I thought my Star Alliance Gold status at the time would help on the day of departure but unfortunately nothing ever opened up and I was forced to sit in the middle for the first time in years. No big deal for a two hour flight though.
Overall, the flight attendants were friendly, the flights were timely, the complimentary meal and drink service were nice, and the cabins though a bit dated were comoftable (look at the width and padding on of some of those coach seats).
Need help planning a trip with your miles? Consider Juicy Miles assistance for the best possible award pricing and routes!