Who wins? I’ve already reviewed Alitalia’s service to Rome from the US on both their A330 and their newly updated B777-200ER, but what about Delta’s own service to Italy? This report covers my recent JFK – Rome (FCO) flight aboard a B767-300.
This is the first part of an eight part trip report from my travels to Rome and Siracusa, Sicily:
- Delta BusinessElite JFK – Rome (FCO) B767-300
- Revisiting the Westin Excelsior Rome, has anything changed? Original visit’s trip report here.
- Trip Report – blu-express – Cheap & Very Scary
- Musciara Resort – Siracusa, Sicily
- Alitalia T1 Dolce Vita Lounge FCO Rome – The Nicest Alitalia Lounge? Flight Simulator & Eataly!
- Air France Business Class Rome (FCO) – Paris (CDG) A321
- Air France Lounge Charles De Gaulle Terminal E Gate M
- Delta BusinessElite Paris (CDG) – Newark (EWR) B767-300
Before my flight I visited the Delta JFK T4 Sky Club & Sky Deck, see my review of the club here. I also used the secret security check which continues to be far better than SkyPriority access at the normal checkpoint. If you are at T4 and not using this security check YOU SHOULD BE. See this post – Secret Security Check @ JFK – Still Kicking @ T4 w/ No Waiting
Waters and pumpkins at SkyPriority Check-In T4 JFK
The new standard welcome snack
Westin Heavenly pillow and duvet
Tumi amenity kit and noise canceling headphones
USB charging, power, and the seat fully reclined.
The new wine and water carts, stocked with the wine selections from the menu as well as San Pellegrino and SmartWater (these became standard between Oct – Nov depending on route)
I thought the shrimp, salad, tomato basil soup, and chicken were all quite nice, no complaints at all. I also tried the vanilla french toast for the first time which was also very good.
Like my last Delta 767-300 (JFK-PRG), this one had the updated bathroom with touchless sink / toilet and updated lighting!
OK so how does Delta’s service compare to Alitalia’s?
Service – Well, I truly think that Delta has the best service of all the legacy carriers and it was excellent on this flight as well. Perhaps a touch friendlier and more attentive than my first Alitalia flight but equal to the great service I received on my more recent Alitalia B777-200ER flight.
Amenity kit – I like Alitalia’s Bulgari amenity kit over Delta’s
TV/IFE – Alitalia has a larger TV on the B777-200ER than Delta’s BusinessElite screens, however Delta has a much larger movie collection.
Bed/Seat – I didn’t find one lie-flat to be more comfortable than the other. Delta wins with their larger pillow and duvet though.
Food – My favorite part of flying Alitalia Magnifica Business is the food. We are talking fresh pasta with Parmesan cheese lightly spooned on top, great fish and chicken entrees, and awesome desserts and wine. I also like the cart service and how the flight attendants work together to prepare your plate. Some extra olive oil on top…yes please! That said, Delta’s food and wine service were excellent on this flight as well, much better than I receive on United. However, I have to go with Italian!
Need help planning a trip with your miles? Consider Juicy Miles assistance for the best possible award pricing and routes!
- Trip Report – Alitalia B777-200ER Magnifica Business Class FCO-JFK
- Alitalia A330 Trip Report JFK-Rome (FCO) – Very Impressed – Lie-Flat & Excellent Food in Magnifica Business Class
- Trip Report – Delta BusinessElite 767-300ER JFK-PRG (Prague)
- Trip Report – Delta Airlines BusinessElite 767-400ER London (LHR) – New York (JFK)
- Trip Report – Delta Atlanta (ATL) – Johannesburg (JNB) – BusinessElite B777-200LR – DeltaAssist Saves the Day!