Iberia’s award sale is still on-going providing for economy class tickets priced at 10K each way from select US cities to Madrid and business class tickets priced at 20K each way. Travel must be booked by January 7, 2014 and completed by April 8, 2014 . All flights must be operated by Iberia. Applicable US cities include: Boston, Chicago, Miami, and New York. Flights from LAX are just a tad more, priced at 12.5K in economy or 25K in business. Now, there are some fuel surcharges and taxes, though they are much lower than those imposed by British Airways.
Now, for those of you who have only found value in redeeming British Airways Avios for short distance hops or for flights to Latin America…or those who have never redeemed their BA Avios at all, this is a great opportunity to redeem flights at a 50% discount and pay just minimal fees. You can search award availability directly on Iberia’s website (clicking through one day at a time) or you can see business availability using your ExpertFlyer account.
A few notes:
- You can transfer points between your British Airways Avios account and Iberia Plus account, HOWEVER both accounts must be open for at least three months before transfers are allowed. Transfers occur instantly and you can access the combination page here. If you try to make the transfer and have not been a member for at least three months, you’ll receive a technical error message. Don’t have an Iberia Plus account? Sign-up for one now so that you can start the three month clock and take advantage of any future promotions (link defaults back to Spanish, click USA in the top right hand corner and then Iberia Plus to find the English registration form).
- You can also transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Iberia Plus. Iberia no longer appears on the AMEX transfer page but you can call the number on the back of your card to request the transfer. Unfortunately, these are not immediate and can take from 24-48 hours.
- For economy to price at the 10K level, you must find availability within “Blue Class”, economy awards available in regular economy class will price at 15K. The taxes / fuel surcharges on the 10K and 15K economy awards are identical at $79.71
- Business class will price at 20,000 Avios and $93.51 in taxes.
- Availability was sporadic but still pretty decent. There were many days in January, February, March, and a few in April with at least one business seat. For two, I found the best availability to be in January and March, not that there weren’t a few in February and early April as well. These were for New York searches. Boston seemed to have the best availability at the time of my search.
- If you haven’t had an Iberia Plus account for at least three months and you don’t have any Membership Rewards points, both Avios.com and British Airways Avios are running award sales as well, though you’ll be paying the crazy taxes / fuel surcharges.
- The British Airways sale can be accessed here and is for 50% off Avios flights in World Traveller (Economy) class. Valid flight dates are January 6th – May 31, 2014 to or from London and New York, Chicago, Washington, Boston, Toronto, Dubai, Denver, and Shanghai.
- The Avios sale can be accessed here and includes the same eight cities from/to London as noted above. Find out about the Avios program here which is separate from both the BA and Iberia programs. This program as well will impose the high taxes/fuel surcharges. However, I’d sign-up anyway in case you want to use one of their airline partners that are not available via British Airways, specifically those within Europe that have small to moderate fees (Flybe and Monarch Airlines).
HT – One Mile At A Time
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.