In an recent interview, Emirates said that it plans to challenge US and European carriers that have long dominated trans-Atlantic flying and win passengers faster than any of its competitors in the year(s) ahead. It’s plan? Deploy as many A380s to the US as possible! Multiple US markets have recently switched from 777s to A380s or will make the change in 2015 including SFO, IAH, BOS, and ORD.
“In the future we will continue to open destinations and introduce A380s in more cities because the market just wants and likes this airplane,” Emirates Chief Commercial Officer Thierry Antinori said, adding that U.S. demand is increasing both for Gulf flights and onward services to locations such as India. “We will have 68 A380s in operation by the end of 2015 compared with 55 today. We have a total of 140 more on order after increasing our original contract by 90 planes at the Dubai Air Show last November.”
Antinori notes that Emirates is not stealing customers, but creating additional demand – “Whereas the top 20 European airlines carrying 400 million passengers a year have 30 A380s between them in service with three carriers. Emirates has almost double that number. We did that by stimulating the market,” he said. “It’s not shifting business from the competition, our competitors are not smaller than before. But I think we give good reason for people to fly more.”
Need help booking an Emirates award trip? Contact Juicy Miles for all your award booking needs.
Related Emirates Trip Reports:
- Trip Report Part 1 – Emirates First Class on the A380 w/ Shower Suite – LAX – Dubai (DXB)
- Trip Report Part 2 – Emirates First Class on the A380 w/ Shower Suite – LAX – Dubai (DXB)
- Emirates First Class Lounge – A380 Terminal – Concourse A – Dubai
- Emirates First Class Lounge Concourse B – Dubai
- Emirates A380 Business Class – JFK-Dubai Trip Report
- Emirates Business Class Lounge – A380 Terminal – Concourse A – Dubai
- Trip Report – Emirates First Class DXB- Malé (MLE) – DXB B777-200LR
- Trip Report – Emirates First Class DXB – Milan (MXP)
- Trip Report – Emirates Lounge Milan
- Trip Report – Emirates First Class MXP – JFK B777-300ER
Related Emirates News:
- Is the A380 Production Era Over? No New Buyers in 2014!
- Inside an Emirates B777 Crew Rest Compartment…Pretty Pimp!
- It’s Official – Dubai overtakes Heathrow as World’s Busiest International Airport
- Emirates Drops FIFA Sponsorship, Qatar Waiting in the Wings?