It has always surprised me that with all of the advancing technology we have, that our travel luggage locks are some of the most primitive in design. They are essentially useless when it comes to preventing someone who really wants to break into our luggage from getting in, and are often more of a nuisance than a help. After all, anyone has lost the key or forgot the combination to their luggage lock can attest to the fact that they seem to keep us out of our luggage better than they keep crooks!
Is The AirBolt The Answer?
Introducing AirBolt. The product of a popular KickStarter campaign, the AirBolt promises to revolutionize luggage locks. The AirBolt is a Bluetooth 4.2 enabled lock that has a variety of features that are controlled by your smartphone. First, you pair your AirBolt with your personal (or business) mobile phone. Then, the technology kicks in:
- Locking and unlocking via a simple touch of a button on your phone.
- If you lose your luggage, it can use crowdsourced GPS technology to inform you of its location.
- You can set an automatic alarm on your phone to go off if your luggage (and lock) are beyond a certain distance from your phone (hopefully catching the thief before they have run off too far).
- Share access to your luggage (or package) with another user through the app.
- If you lose your phone, you can re-install the AirBolt app on another device and unlock it.
- Conforms to TSA standards.
- The battery is chargeable via USB.
If you are convinced that this is the luggage lock for you, the bad news is that you will have to wait until August 2016 before it becomes commercially available.
What are your thoughts on the AirBolt?
Related: 7 New Must Have Travel Accessories