“Once the technology happens we would go there straight away”, that’s the quote from Qantas CEO Alan Joyce to the Australian Business Traveller earlier this week. A Sydney – JFK flight would be 9,950 miles and clock in at about 19 hours. The flight would also takeover the world’s longest title from Singapore who intends to restore their Singapore-Newark route in 2018 (9,300 miles).
A non-stop SYD-JFK flight would require next generation aircraft and Qantas says they are looking at the B777-8X which could potentially have the range. The aircraft type is not expected to enter service until the 2020s. Of course, the flight would also have to make economical sense given the weight restrictions, likely requiring additional premium cabin space as well as special amenities for economy passengers on such a long flight.
Qantas International CEO Gareth Evans answered the question as to whether passengers would prefer the non-stop flight over a stop in California or Texas:
“It might not be for everybody, if you don’t want to do that then there are plenty of opportunities to connect over Dallas or LA, but there will be a market of people who want to get on the plane and get off where their ultimate destination is. It’s going to have to have the ability to look after customers for long amounts of time… (and) the technology that’s coming with the 777-X can facilitate that, absolutely; we’d want to fly it.”
Check out the full article here.
- Breaking: Singapore to Restore Non-Stop Flights to NYC & LAX! Regain Longest Flight Title
- Singapore Airlines Trip Report – Newark to Singapore Business Class – The World’s Longest Flight
- Boeing to Build World’s Longest-Range Passenger Jet
- Emirates Announces World’s Longest Flight – 17 hours and 35 mins
- Trip Report – Delta Atlanta (ATL) – Johannesburg (JNB) – BusinessElite B777-200LR – DeltaAssist Saves the Day!
- Trip Report – Emirates A380 First Class LAX – Dubai (DXB) w/ Shower Spa Part 1
- Low Level Awards -Longest Flight in the World – 1 Month Remaining!
- End of an Era, No Party for SQ21 – World’s Longest Non-Stop Flight Arrives Back Home
- Delta 777-200LR Brisbane (BNE) -Maryland (ADW) Non-Stop…
- The World’s Longest Flights – How Many Have You Flown (I have 10) and What’s Your Aspirational Redemption?
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.