New airports and updated terminals are under construction all over the world as air travel continues to expand thanks to a growing middle class. CNN shares with our readers a list of 16 projects underway that their editorial teams “can’t wait to fly into”.
- Istanbul New Airport
Replacing the older Atatürk Airport, it is a mega hub that will eventually be capable of handling 150 million passengers per year, perhaps even rivaling Dubai in terms of connecting travelers.
- Al Maktoum International Airport (Dubai)
Al Maktoum — commonly known as Dubai World Central — will one day have five runways, three terminals and be home to the huge fleets of superjumbos operated by Emirates.
- Singapore Changi Airport (T5)
- LaGuardia Airport
Coming not a minute too soon is the complete revamp and rebuild of the terminals and taxiways at New York’s crowded LaGuardia airport to create one unified terminal structure with more gates and more space, capable of handling the thousands of daily passengers. The old low ceilings and cramped corridors in a confusing mix of different terminals will make way for light, airy spaces with plenty of windows and new amenities.
- Beijing Daxing International Airport
- Western Sydney Airport
- New International Airport for Mexico City
- Berlin Brandenburg Airport Willy Brandt
- Carlisle Lake District Airport (England)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (Terminal One)