Subscribe to Point Me Awake, a morning jolt of the top stories in travel every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday — straight to your inbox. Our curated list includes deals, reviews, and the best ways to use points and miles.
Looking for a getaway this fall and live on the west coast of the U.S.? This fare originates in Los Angeles but could be worth positioning for as well. The deal is with Swiss Air to Barcelona, Spain for less than $300 roundtrip in economy. That’s a solid deal from the east coast but a fantastic deal from the west coast.
- Where: Los Angeles (LAX) to Barcelona (BCN) roundtrip (via Zurich)
- When: Various dates in October and November
- How Much: As low as $293 on Swiss Air’s Boeing 777-300ER economy
- Why: Barcelona is a great city to see, rich in culture, architecture, food and it sits on the Mediterranean Sea
- How To Book: For the lowest fares click here and search for trips about 5-7 nights in length, Los Angeles to Barcelona, one stop and on Swiss International Air Lines.
Example schedule and fare:
If you schedule it right, you can have up to 23 hours in Zurich (if you want to explore the city for a day).
If you plan on visiting Barcelona for the first time, I recommend getting the Barcelona Pass, which offers a complete sightseeing pass. It allows holders to remove the need to buy individual tickets, saving them both time and money.
Don’t miss these must-do things in Barcelona that I love:
- The Picasso Museum
- The La Sagrada Familia, an unfinished church by Antoni Gaudí (probably the longest continuing construction in history.) The design was begun in 1882 and still is ongoing!
- Las Ramblas street where everyone congregates at night and has a large pedestrian promenade along its center, flanked by shops, cafés, bars and restaurants. Great for people-watching.
- Parc Guell is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is considered to one of Gaudi’s most imaginative works.
- Passeig de Gracia. There is a block nicknamed ‘Illa de la Discòrdia’ – the ‘Block of Discord’ because the buildings are so different, featuring modernism design. Several were designed by Gaudi.