Over the weekend, I heard from a source in Hong Kong that Cathay Pacific may be introducing an option for passengers seated in Economy Class to purchase a Business Class meal onboard.
This isn’t really a new concept. For example, US Airways has long offered a DineFresh option, where passengers seated in Coach on an long-haul international flight can purchase a “premium chilled meal” for $20.99, as an upgrade to the complimentary meal offered to all other passengers. Of course, these chilled meals are not the same meals offered in Business Class.
With many Asian airlines, a complimentary meal is offered on short-haul flights. For example, I was offered two options—a beef & rice option and a chicken & pasta option—on a recent flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok on Dragonair, a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific. In coach. On a 1.5-hour hop from Hong Kong to Taipei, I was offered a complimentary ham sandwich in coach.
Of course, this is just a rumor and I don’t have any pricing information. However, from what I heard, the Cathay Pacific option will not involve a separately catered meal; rather, Economy passengers would be served an actual Business Class meal. Since Cathay serves cup noodles for passengers still feeling hungry, this looks to be a quality over a quantity offering.
Most of the time, I feel that Business Class meals are only marginally better than Economy meals. They may be slightly higher in quality and be served in china instead of a aluminum or plastic tray. With many airlines offering complimentary beer and wine in Economy Class, booze doesn’t make a big difference either. Here is a meal I was served in Business Class on a recent trip from Taipei to Hong Kong.
Personally, I don’t think I would pay extra for a Business Class meal on a flight that serves complimentary meals in coach. Of course, this is without even considering some potential stares from other coach passengers…like “why is that guy getting real silverware”. Now…if only I could buy-up to a First Class meal…
How about you? How much would you pay to have an actual Business Class meal while seated in Economy Class?
Other Cathay News:
- Cathay Pacific A350-900 – New Details on Revamped Business Class!
- A Restaurant Critic’s Thoughts on Cathay’s In-Flight Meals…bit different than the BA bloggers!
- New Amenity Kits for Cathay Pacific in First and Business!
Cathay Trip Report Related –
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific First Class Hong Kong to New York – The Best Service in the Sky???
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific First Class New York (JFK) to Vancouver (YVR)
- Cathay Pacific First Class Trip Report – My Favorite FC Trip Ever? HKG-YVR-JFK
- rip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific First Class Vancouver to Hong Kong
- Trip Report – Cathay’s Newest Lounge – The Bridge in Hong Kong (HKG)
- Trip Report – Cathay Pacific Private Day-Break Room & First Lounges – Hong Kong
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific The Arrival Lounge – Hong Kong
- Trip Report & Review – Cathay Pacific The Wing First Class Lounge – Hong Kong…Cabanas, Tubs, & Ironing!
- Cathay Pacific Business Class JFK – Hong Kong (HKG) B777-300ER
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.