Some sad breaking news, not many details are known yet, but here’s what is being reported so far:
- MH 17, a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200, flying from Amsterdam (AMS) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) with 280 passengers and 15 crew, had its transponder signal disappear while flying over the Ukraine.
- Malaysia Airlines has confirmed via Twitter that they have lost contact with the jet.
- A YouTube video shows smoke rising from the supposed crash site
- Speculation and initial reporting from the Business Insider
- Update as of 12PM EST – the AP is now speculating as well (via Twitter) that the plane may have been shot down, the networks are stating that they have no confirmation of this.