Wow, Travel + Leisure has released their latest tipping guidelines and they are steep, especially for housekeeping and the valet! Granted, these are for US stays, but I’ve never before heard of $5-$10 per day for housekeeping (I normally leave $2 per day in the US if I’m traveling alone) or $5 every time my rental car is brought around when using the valet. What do you think?
• Bellman: $1 to $2 per bag.
• Concierge: $10 to $20 for performing a special service, such as scoring tickets to a sold-out event or wrangling lost luggage from your airline.
• Doorman: $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour or in the rain; $1 for each bag.
• Housekeeping: $5 to $10 per day. Leave it at the front desk if you want it divided equally among all your housekeepers.
• Room Service: A service charge is almost always included in the bill. To personally thank your server, 5 percent will suffice.
• Valet: $5 when your car is delivered.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.