In the Wake of Iowa Family Death in Mexico, Carry Your Own Carbon Monoxide Detector on Rental Trips

by Adam

An Iowa couple and their two children disappeared last week on their vacation in Tulum, Mexico, never to be heard from again. A gas leak in a water heater at their VRBO rental is now the suspected culprit.

“Unfortunately, they found the area where the water heater was letting gas escape, perhaps because of a lack of maintenance, perhaps because it was in use, perhaps because of the age of the equipment,” prosecutor Miguel Angel Pech told the Radio Formula station. “In fact, a high concentration of this toxic (gas) was found in the room,” Pech said.

In the wake of their horrible deaths, ABC News has a simple suggestion, pack your own carbon monoxide detector when heading on a trip and not staying at a hotel. Based on the batteries within your device, you may need to check a bag with the lifesaving tool.

The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

1 comment

Related Articles

1 comment

BAreader March 27, 2018 - 6:00 pm

I find this to be a ridiculous suggestion. Of millions of people traveling every year, you have one tragedy, and everyone should carry another gadget? Why not carry guns for all those tourists who were murdered, take personal surgeons with you for tourists who lost a limb in an accident, or carry your own extra airbag for tourists injured in car crashes?

The ABC news article was probably written by someone who has never never been to another country, never seen how the world works.


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Point Me Awake


A morning jolt of travel-infused news & deals straight to your inbox. 


Success! Check your email for a welcome onboard message