First, a big thank you to Dave from Miles Talk who posted an article on Oct. 6 that I read that made this possible. Wyndham is currently offering a status match to a wide variety of other chains, good for a 90 day period. The requirements for this status match are incredibly flexible: Marriott Gold Members and Hilton Honors Members can get matched to Wyndham Diamond status.
At this point, I’d never actually stayed at a Wyndham property, so why did I want Diamond status with them? They are partners with Caesars Total Rewards, and that is immensely valuable to me. Initially, Dave wasn’t sure if Total Rewards would match the temporary Wyndham status, but after going through the process myself I can confirm that they do.
As an avid poker player I am at the casino at least once a week where I earn comps for playing. However, earning 17 Tier Credits per hour would mean that I would need to play 883 hours of poker in a year to achieve Diamond status. Having a 4-year-old at home means I usually only get a few hours one night a week which won’t even get me Platinum status this year so getting Diamond for free is a massive win for me.
Gaining Wyndham Status
The first step in gaining Caesars Total Reward Diamond status was to first acquire my Wyndham status. Although, I do not have any stays planned with Wyndham those readers that do will be pleased to know that if they complete the 14 night stay requirement for Diamond they will be granted full status with one exception noted: Status matched Platinum members miss out on the 3,000 point bonus and Diamond members the do not earn the 6,000 point bonus.
For those with some Wyndham stays planned for the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019 the lower 7 nights requirement to retain Platinum level status is strongly worth considering. The length of an earned Diamond status thought this method, according to Wyndham’s T&C, is “…December 31 of the calendar year following the calendar year in which such 14th Qualifying Night was completed….” For Platinum status the T&C reads similar, “…December 31 of the calendar year following the calendar year in which such 7th Qualifying Night was completed.”
It should also be noted that there is nothing in the T&C that indicates that previous status matches are ineligible for this status match. Therefore, it appears that anyone who holds status from a qualifying hotel chain would be eligible for this match.
Total Rewards Diamond Benefits
Here are the new benefits that are now available to me that I did not have under my previous Gold (base level) status:
- Gift up to 5,000 Reward Credits to a friend (limit of two transfers per year).
- 15% off best available advertised rate on rooms and suites.
- No resort fees on any hotel stay.
- Guaranteed Room with 72 hours notice in Atlantic City and Las Vegas.
- Complimentary valet & self-parking at many destinations, including Las Vegas and Atlantic City.
- $100 Celebration Dinner.
- Gain access to Diamond Lounges***
- Priority lines at hotel check-in, restaurants, casino cages and the Total Rewards Center.
- Access to the VIP Reservations Hotline.
- Complimentary stay at Atlantis, Paradise Island in The Bahamas.
- Tier Status match with Wyndham Rewards (and visa versa).
- 20% discounts on select Norwegian Cruise Line vacation.
***Total Rewards used to give this benefit for free to all Diamond members, but at the beginning of 2018 free entry requires 25,000 Tier Points earned during the previous calendar year. Without it admission is $10/per person per visit.
I already have a Vegas trip with my wife booked, so by gaining Diamond status with Total Rewards I will no longer have to pay any fees during our stay. We will also enjoy free valet and self-parking, a $100 celebration dinner and priority over standard queues which are particularly long in Vegas. If I had more free time to work with, and was willing to pay the hefty fees, I could also take advantage of the four-night complimentary stay at the Atlantis hotel, which is also a Marriott Autograph Hotel.
How to Get Total Rewards Status
- See if you qualify for the Wyndham status match promotion. Side note: If you are in the military, veteran, reserves, or spouse of one of those groups you can get a special Platinum card even if you can’t get a match.
- If you do, log into the account that you want to use for the status match and take a screenshot.
- Use the link in Step 1 to log into your Wyndham account. From here use the drop down tab to pick which outside program you are matching and enter in your current status.
- Nothing you have to do here but wait for Wyndham to email you back.
- Once you are successful, use this link to login to your Total Rewards Accounts.
- Enter in your Wyndham account number into the box.
- In a few days, log into your Total Rewards Account. Note: I did not get an email from Total Rewards to note that change in account status.
Staggered Status Tier Calendars
Similar to Hyatt and Mlife, Wyndham and Total Rewards use non-traditional calendar years that overlap, meaning that it’s possible to, for a short time, hold Diamond status in both programs for a short period after completing a status match.
At the beginning of January 2019, I am planning on requesting a match to Wyndham Diamond, using my Diamond status at Total Rewards. If this goes as planned, I will have be able to retain some form of Diamond status in the Wyndham/Total Rewards program through 2019.
This is a very generous status match offer. Anyone with plans to stay at a Wyndham or Caesars Total Rewards property in the near future would be crazy not to take advantage. There is even an opportunity, if you live near the Borgata Atlantic City, or are crazy enough to fly there (me?) to turn your newly minted Total Rewards status into Mlife Gold which could then turn into Hyatt Explorist.
This is what one might call a bonanza.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.