Skip the crowds and explore these under-the-radar alternatives to popular destinations (on points and miles).
Well known travel destinations are popular for a reason – they are spectacular! The world’s most famous destinations offer extraordinary access to fascinating culture, great food, and outdoor adventures.
Unfortunately, these destinations also tend to be overcrowded, expensive, and – importantly for the Point Me reader – sometimes challenging to travel to with points and miles. Visiting these over touristed destinations can often feel like a trip to Disneyland on a school holiday.
Fortunately, the world is a big place. There are so many extraordinary, but under-appreciated and off the beaten path destinations to consider the next time you’re planning a trip.
I’ve drawn on my experience traveling to over 130 countries to put together this mini-series to help you discover alternative destinations that you can get to with points and miles. Here are 5 alternative destinations to consider:
- Instead of New Zealand…go to Kyrgyzstan for outdoor adventure
- Instead of Iceland…go to The Faroe Islands for unreal scenery
- Instead of Fiji…go to The Cook Islands to relax on a tropical beach
- Instead of Europe…go to Georgia for culture, food, & wine (coming soon)
- Instead of Morocco…go to Jordan for an exotic cultural experience (coming soon)
Why You Should Consider These Off The Beaten Path Destinations
At each of the destinations, you can expect:
- Thinner crowds – you’ll often have sites all to yourself
- Greater authenticity – the locals aren’t fed up with tourists yet!
- More value – Your dollar will go further (with the notable exception of the Faroe Islands) – and you’ll be supporting local businesses
- Slightly more hassle – The reality is that many of the destinations are still developing their tourist infrastructure – which means not everything is up to 5-star standards. It’s a small price to pay for a much richer experience.
Crucially – all of these destinations can be easily reached using points and miles. I’ll explain how in each of my posts.
What Points And Miles Will Get You There?
If you need to top off your miles balances, check out our cards marketplace to find the most lucrative sign up bonus offers available today. As always, Juicy Miles award consultants, are always happy to find and book award flights. Happy Traveling! Our guides start soon — stay tuned!
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.