During these unprecedented times, it’s helpful to have a comprehensive, clear, and simple guide to help us keep track of hotel policy updates and elite status extensions. Due to coronavirus and its devastating impact on the hotel industry, hotels have been incentivizing their loyal customers with perks. It makes sense that when travel resumes, hotels want their loyal guests to come back. The perks offered by each hotel group vary, so let’s go through each hotel chain and see what’s been offered in the way of elite status extensions, points, and other benefits as well.
Coronavirus Hotel Updates: Elite Status Requirements and Points Expiration Dates
- Extension of Accor Live Limitless status for 1 year to members living in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan.
- All elite member accounts gifted a 50% credit to help maintain current status.
Elite member status automatically extended through January 31, 2022.
Did you lose status at the end of 2019?
If so, you will have your status leveled-up to your previous tier. Remember, Best Western Rewards points have no expiration dates attached to them.
- Choice Hotels is still a work in progress when it comes to extending Choice Privileges elite statuses.
- As of now, points will not expire until May 31, 2020.
- Normal policy is that Choice points expire after 18 months of no account activity.
Hilton Honors points will not expire until December 31, 2020.
Have a credit card free night award in your account? Good news!
Credit card free night awards will not expire until August 31, 2021.
- For Hilton’s elite members whose 2019 status was due to downgrade on March 31, 2020, status is extended through March 31, 2021.
- Hilton extended all 2020 elite members’ status through March 31, 2022.
- World of Hyatt points will not expire until December 31, 2020. This holds true even if there was no account activity for 24 months.
- All unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade, or Club Lounge Access awards with expiration dates between March 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020, are now extended to December 31, 2021.
- No need to re-qualify for status. Both status and elite benefits will be extended for all existing elite members. Whatever status you had as of March 31, 2020, will be automatically updated with a February 28, 2022, expiration date.
For all members, IHG is extending Rewards Club elite status through January 2022. Requirements for qualifying for elite status during the 2020 calendar year have been reduced by 25%. Points will not expire until December 31, 2020.
Did you have credit card award nights in your account?
These card anniversary award nights that were due to expire starting March 1, 2020, will not expire before December 31, 2020. IHG certificates issued in 2020 now have an 18-month redemption time period attached to them.
Marriott Bonvoy elite members status will be extended by a year, through February 2022. Points will not expire until February 2021.
Credit card anniversary award nights and travel packages due to expire in 2020 now expire on January 31, 2021.
Suite Night Awards (SNAs) have 1 year extensions attached to them.
Regardless of 2020 travel, I Prefer elite members will have their status automatically extended through June 30, 2021.
Any points due to expire will be extended until the end of August 2020. This give you time to use your I Prefer points towards I Prefer Rewards Certificates.
Effective March 1, 2020, Radisson suspended its point expiration policy by 6 months. It also extended the elite status of members through February 2022, if your status would have expired in February 2021.
E-certs earned using the Radisson Rewards™ Visa® Card scheduled to expire between March 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020, are redeemable through June 30, 2021.
For all Diamond and Jade Shangri-La Golden Circle elite members, status has been automatically extended through December 31, 2021.
Golden Circle Award Points, normally expiring on an annual basis, have been extended.
Wyndham Rewards suspended its point expiration date until September 30, 2020. All current elite member statuses are extended through the end of 2021.
Wyndham has reported “relaxing Member Level earning requirements” for 2020, as well as other guest options.
The hotel industry as a whole has been quick to recognize the benefits of having a loyal customer base. They now have coronavirus hotel updates! This recognition has played out in the ease with which travelers have been able to cancel and amend hotel reservations. Loyalty has also been recognized with both elite status and points extensions. Hotel loyalists can breathe a sigh of relief about retaining and regaining status. That’s a good thing!
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.