Over the last few weeks I’ve shared my plans of how I am working toward Hyatt Globalist status for 2020. As such, I’ve been following their news stream more than usual. In the last week, two great things have come from this great loyalty program. The best news of the last week is 200 new hotels being added to Hyatt.
Overview Of New Hyatt Hotels
This trend of expanding their footprint happened in 2019 several times with the addition of SLH, Two Road Hospitality and New Destination Hotel Partnerships. This continued expansion hits directly at the largest problem the Hyatt loyalty program faces: A very small footprint when compared to Hilton or Marriott.
Hyatt’s current lineup is about 800 hotels in the Americas. This news of bringing in an additional 200 properties is a really big deal as it’s increasing their footprint by 25% within 2 years. As of now, more than 100 of the properties slated are expected to be limited services hotels that fall under the Hyatt Place and Hyatt House umbrella. While that newsworthy, I think the more interesting look is into the full service properties.
This recently added brand of luxury hotels, brought in through the Two Roads Hospitality acquisition, means “surprise” in Sanskrit. The chosen location for the one new property, however, lacks surprise as Encinitas, California is an area known for its sandy beaches and many botanical gardens. The first new-build Alila hotel in the Americas will have will have 130 guestrooms and is scheduled to open in early 2021.
This high end brand that blends local culture and luxury is expecting three new properties, one in late 2020 in Palm Spring California with 150 rooms and two in 2021: One in Toronto with 160 rooms and another in Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos with 184 rooms.
This newly added brand already has 40 upscale and luxury hotels, residences, and resorts in North America. This year, Hyatt is planning on increasing that total by 10% with 4 new properties being added.
- Quirk Hotel Charlottesville, A Destination Hotel (Va.), 80 guestrooms, March 2020
- Wyndhurst Manor & Club, A Destination Hotel (Lenox, Mass.), 46 guestrooms, May 2020
- The Shay, A Destination Hotel (Culver City, Calif.), 148 guestrooms, Late Summer 2020
- A hotel within the Destination Hotels brand, located in Oceanside, Calif., 226 guestrooms, Late 2020
The Grand Hyatt brand in the Hyatt lineup offers hotels with superior service, world class restaurants, and luxury spas. It’s no surprise that these hotels usually get top reviews from the PMTTP team. This year Hyatt plans on adding a 591 room property in Nashville, Tennessee. In 2022, a Grand Hyatt will be coming to Grand Cayman with 351 guestrooms.
This full-service lifestyle brand is Hyatt’s fastest growing brand. With prime locations in major cities, Hyatt is looking to provide local expertise to any stay. With 16 new hotels coming by 2022, and 7 this year, this brand is looking to expand in some major cities including:
- Hyatt Centric Old Town Alexandria (Va.), 124 guestrooms, January 22, 2020
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland (Ore.), 220 guestrooms, February 2020
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Minneapolis, 145 guestrooms, Spring 2020
- Hyatt Centric 39th & 5th New York, 163 guestrooms, March 2020
- Hyatt Centric San Salvador (El Salvador), 138 guestrooms, April 2020
- Hyatt Centric Las Olas Fort Lauderdale (Fla.), 238 guestrooms, May 2020
- Hyatt Centric City Center Philadelphia, 332 guestrooms, June 2020
- Hyatt Centric Beale Street Memphis (Tenn.), 227 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Austin (Texas), 200 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Nashville (Tenn.), 252 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Sacramento (Calif.), 172 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Centric Koreatown Los Angeles, 310 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Centric SouthPark Charlotte (N.C.), 175 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Centric Buckhead Atlanta, 218 guestrooms, 2022
- Hyatt Centric Niagara Falls (Ontario, Canada), 364 guestrooms, 2022
- A hotel within the Hyatt Centric brand, located in downtown Los Angeles, 138 guestrooms, 2022
The iconic Regency brand is there to provide stress free travel in urban and resort locations. While the brand is not expanding past the 30 countries it currently is in, it certainly will appeal to travelers due to a few new locations including:
- Hyatt Regency Frisco (Texas), 301 guestrooms, Spring 2020
- Hyatt Regency Insurgentes Mexico City, 250 guestrooms, 2021
- Hyatt Regency Niagara Falls (Ontario, Canada), 703 guestrooms, 2022
- Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City (Utah), 700 guestrooms, 2022
Joie de Vivre
The Joie de Vivre brand added through the Two Roads Hospitality acquisition thrives on the neighborhood feel. This boutique adds local flair and culture to any stay. With three new properties coming this year it will certainly be interesting to compare their unique concept design. The locations are as follows:
- The Ambassador Chicago, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, 285 guestrooms, February 2020
- El Capitan, a Joie de Vivre Hotel (Merced, Calif.), 114 guestrooms, Summer 2020
- A hotel within the Joie de Vivre brand, located in Oceanside, Calif., 161 guestrooms, Late 2020
This premier luxury and wellness resort and spa first opened in 1995 in Tucson, Arizona and later to Austin, Texas. This year a 3rd Miraval property is in the works for Berkshires, New York and will open in May with 102 guestrooms.
The Park Hyatt collection of hotels provides the home away from home feeling in understated luxury accommodations. These properties are often found in the world’s most premier destinations. This year Hyatt plans to reopen the Park Hyatt Toronto after a property redesign in October with 219 guestrooms. Then in 2021, add three additional properties one in Los Angeles at Oceanwide Plaza with 184 guestrooms, another in Los Cabos with 163 guestrooms, and the last in Mexico City with 155 guestrooms.
This award winning lifestyle brand offers groundbreaking designs, stunning locations, and an immersion into the local culture through culinary offerings, arts, and entertainment. These properties offer different takes on luxury and are going to be expanding more into major urban areas with nine new properties. There locations are:
- Thompson Washington D.C., 225 guestrooms, January 8, 2020
- Thompson San Antonio, 162 guestrooms, Late Summer 2020
- Thompson Dallas, 219 guestrooms, Fall 2020
- Thompson Hollywood (Calif.), 190 guestrooms, 2021
- Thompson Austin, 200 guestrooms, 2021
- Thompson Denver, 220 guestrooms, 2021
- Thompson Savannah (Ga.), 193 guestrooms, 2021
- Thompson New York – Central Park*, 2021
- *Rebrand from Parker New York
- Thompson South Beach (Miami), 150 guestrooms, 2022
The Unbounded Collection
One of the most unique brands of the Hyatt collection is the Unbounded Collection which offers one-of-a-kind experiences for guests at each property. These independent, premium hotels range in locations and types. From boutiques to resorts and from historic to contemporary, each one is worth visiting. Hyatt will be adding two new properties in 2020 and another two in 2021 which will expand offerings by 40% for this brand in the Americas. The new locations are:
- Mar Monte* (Santa Barbara, Calif.), 200 guestrooms, Spring 2020
- *Rebrand from Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara
- A hotel within The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand, located in Kansas City, Mo., 144 guestrooms, Summer 2020
- A hotel within The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand, located in Hollywood, Calif., 64 guestrooms, 2021
- Hotel La Compañia (Panama City, Panama), 88 guestrooms, 2021
My Views On The New Hyatt Hotels
Personally, I’m looking forward to the Grand Hyatt Nashville opening. We often fly in and out of Nashville as we get better rates here than from Memphis and it’s only a 3 hour drive from the house.
Once I have my globalist status locked in, we will definitely be spending a weekend using those benefits while also seeing some sights and visiting family and friends. Beyond that one of my favorite places to go is Washington, D.C. given all the free sights to see. As my eldest son is getting older, and it’s been almost 3 years since my last visit, the newly opened Thompson Washington D.C. located in the Navy Yard might also make for a perfect place to stay.
Overall, this continued expansion shows that Hyatt wants to be a serious competitor in the hotel industry. Each new property demonstrates their commitment to growth and listening to their loyalists. Which new Hyatt property are you looking forward to spending some time at?
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.