In my two most recent United trip posts to Europe, I remarked that “operated by your Continental crew” was the greeting still being used by Newark flight crews, sort of amazing four years into a merger. I remember the first year or so when this was happening and sort of expected. I never thought that in 2015 it would still be going on and that employees would view themselves as members of two separate teams!
Michael Sasso of BloombergBusiness has an article titled – “United Trails American as Merger Benefits Fail to Show”, which takes a look at why United has had so many more problems than Delta and how American is already eclipsing United in terms of merger benefits. Check out the full article in the link above. Some of my favorite quotes and notes that I was able to republish:
- For investors, the deal’s benefits have been as slow to appear as some tardy United jets. Costs still exceed the industry average. American Airlines’ profit through five quarters is expected to exceed the profit United has made in the four years since its tie-up with Continental.
- …More than four years into the merger with Continental Airlines, United ranks next to last in J.D. Power’s 2014 airline satisfaction ranking, is No. 1 among major airlines in bumping passengers involuntarily and ranked only eighth or ninth out of 14 carriers in on-time arrivals through most of last year.
- American Airlines’ profit through five quarters exceeding the profit United has made in the four years since its tie-up with Continental. United is No. 4 in the U.S. industry by market value, even though it’s the world’s second-biggest airline based on passenger traffic.
- “It truly feels like we’re emerging from this metaphorical conference room, where we’ve been stuck in a merger,” said Brian Znotins, who plots United’s schedule as vice president of network.
Recent United posts:
- United Going 10 Seats Across in Economy & Shrinking Business w/ 777 Retrofit
- Monk Loses Temper w/ United Customer Service…4+ Hours on Phone & No Resolution
- United Swapping 787 Dreamliner Orders for 777-300ERs?
- United Airlines – “We Plan to Serve Cuba” …w/ regular commercial flights
- United’s New Amenity Kits – Special tins back until March, then a new kit w/ golf balls and special socks
- UA Offers Food & Drinks w/ Miles @ EWR…at a crappy rate
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.