Paris, the City of Lights, might not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of Mexican food. But in recent years, a vibrant wave of taquerias and upscale establishments serving authentic and innovative Mexican cuisine has been washing over the French capital. From mind-blowing tacos to creative cocktails, here’s a glimpse into the world of the best Mexican restaurants in Paris.
For the Traditionalists:
Los Güeros: A true taste of Mexico City in the heart of Paris, Los Güeros is a no-frills taqueria serving up some of the most delicious and affordable tacos in town. Their al pastor, cooked on a rotating spit, is a must-try, with its juicy pork marinated in achiote and pineapple. Wash it down with a horchata, a refreshing rice milk drink, and feel transported to a bustling mercado in Mexico.
El Nopal: This family-run cantina in the 18th arrondissement offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere, with colorful décor and friendly service. Their menu features all the classics including enchiladas, burritos, and fajitas. Their dishes are made with fresh ingredients and portions are generous. Don’t miss their mole poblano, a rich and complex sauce made with over 20 ingredients, traditionally poured over chicken or turkey.
For the Adventurous:
Candelaria: This trendy spot in the Marais is more than just a taco joint; it’s a happening bar and music venue with a hidden speakeasy downstairs. Their tacos are creative and playful, with fillings like duck carnitas, grilled octopus, and even bone marrow. Be sure to try their mezcal cocktails, made with smoky agave spirits from Oaxaca.
Distrito Francés: With two locations in Paris, Distrito Francés offers a modern take on Mexican cuisine, blending traditional flavors with French influences. Their menu features dishes like tuna tostadas with avocado crema and duck carnitas tacos with mole. They also have an extensive tequila and mezcal selection, perfect for sipping after your meal.
Beyond the Tacos:
Oxte: This fine-dining restaurant run by Mexican chef Patricio Rivera offers a refined take on Mexican gastronomy. The tasting menu features dishes like scallops with huitlacoche cream and lamb barbacoa cooked in banana leaves. It’s a splurge, but a truly unforgettable experience for any Mexican food lover.
Mamacita: This lively cantina in the 11th arrondissement is a great place to gather with friends for a fun night out. They have a huge selection of tacos, as well as other Mexican favorites like quesadillas and nachos. Be sure to try their frozen margaritas, made with fresh fruit and top-shelf tequila.
Bonus Tip: If you’re visiting Paris during the summer, be sure to check out one of the city’s many open-air markets, where you can find stands selling delicious and authentic Mexican street food.
4 Tips for Eating Mexican Food in Paris
1. Reservations are recommended, especially for popular spots on weekends.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for spice adjustments. Most restaurants can cater to all levels of heat tolerance.
3. Embrace the mezcal! Paris offers a fantastic selection of this smoky agave spirit, perfect for sipping neat or enjoying in cocktails.
4. I have not mentioned specific prices, as they can vary depending on the restaurant and exchange rates.
Final Thoughts on Best Mexican Restaurants in Paris, France
Whether you’re craving a quick and casual taco fix or a luxurious multi-course meal, Paris has a Mexican restaurant to satisfy your taste buds and your budget. With its blend of tradition and innovation, the city’s Mexican food scene is a true hidden gem, waiting to be explored.
- My Favorite Travel Resources and Products
- Do you find it difficult to book award flights with your miles and points? I do! That’s why I turn to Point.me. They get me great deals and save me money and time.
- I Always Get the Lowest Prices on Hotel Rooms: Here’s How!
- Staying healthy is key to enjoying your travels. Here’s my SECRET, and I’ve even got a 10% discount for my readers!
- 9 Awesome Travel Accessories To Pack for Your Next Trip
- Why use just any credit card when you can use one that earns miles and points? Don’t miss out on the BEST current travel credit card offers!
- What if you could learn everything you need to know about your destination in just 15 minutes? Here’s how!
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.