American Express announced their latest card offering, and it actually is super compelling. The American Express® Green Card is back and reincarnated as a travel and lifestyle card — and has some awesome benefits from AMEX that are easy to use.
Who Is The American Express Green Card For?
The AMEX Green Card slots in right below the American Express® Gold Card. The two cards seem to actually overlap a bit in terms of target demographic — with the Gold card perhaps slightly more skewed towards the urban and city crowd and those that shop at supermarkets.
However, the Green and Gold cards are both targeted to a market that enjoys dining out and traveling.
I would argue that the AMEX Green Card is actually easier to use its card benefits, as I’ll explain below. Here are three reasons to snag the Green Card. (Personally, I’ll also be applying for this card.)
Reason #1: 3x Membership Rewards® Points On Dining & ALL Travel
This one is big. Finally, American Express is including all types of travel under its “travel” category. No more confusing verbiage about booking direct with the airline or at Amextravel.com, etc.
The following categories would earn 3x Membership Rewards® Points:
- Airfare, hotel, rental car
- Rideshares (Uber, Lyft, etc)
- Transit and commuter rides (subways, buses, etc.)
- Tours, online travel agencies, and more
It’s interesting that this 3x points category on dining and travel is exactly the same bonus you’d earn on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, a premium card that commands a much higher $450 annual fee.
Reason #2: Easier-To-Use Benefits
While the AMEX Gold and Platinum cards have worthwhile benefits that can easily justify their annual fee, one of the biggest pain points is using the annual airline credit ($100 for the Gold card and $200 for the Platinum card).
The whole process is clunky, from selecting only one airline at the beginning of the year, to only getting credit for airline “incidentals” like checked bag fees or onboard food. Previously, you could buy airline gift cards but from what I know, this has been mostly killed off.
The AMEX Green Card has a straightforward set of benefits, besides the 3x Membership Rewards points on dining and travel.
- Up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year towards purchase of CLEAR® membership (expedited security)
- Up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year when you purchase LoungeBuddy access (single-use lounge access through an app)
- Up to $100 statement credit towards any purchases with Away made within the first 3 months of membership (lifestyle travel startup that makes things like suitcases)
- Limited-time offer for new Card Members who apply by January 15, 2020
These benefits are not only easy to use, I appreciate that they’re different than most other cards.
- Instead of TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, you get $100 towards CLEAR®
- This is also annual, and with CLEAR® charging $109 for any United MileagePlus member, a membership will essentially be $9 per year with this card.
- Instead of Priority Pass, you get LoungeBuddy credit
- LoungeBuddy is a startup that AMEX acquired earlier this year that allows you to book lounge access on its app at hundreds of airports worldwide. Granted, there’s a ton of overlap with Priority Pass, but there are some unique offerings like Lufthansa Business Class lounges.
- And a $100 credit to a suitcase and travel accessory company (that millennials everywhere are getting) is just icing on top.
Reason #3: Decent Signup Bonus
New American Express Green® card members get 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $2,000 on eligible purchases in the first three months of membership. There’s no foreign transaction fees either.
American Express has an interesting, worthwhile card on their hands with the new Green card. It could serve as a complement to a more premium card or serve as a great introduction for someone looking to get into the points and miles world.
The benefits are unique, they seem easy to use, and the bonus categories of travel and dining are super broad.
Of course, American Express Membership Rewards® points also transfer to many airline and hotel partners.
- Receive up to $100 in statement credits towards any eligible purchase made directly with Away in your first 3 months. Offer ends 1/15/2020.
- Plus, earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership.
- Receive up to $100 in statement credits per year on your LoungeBuddy purchases. Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network — no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.