Update: Also works from east coast US like JFK-SYD for 10,000 AAdvantage miles round-trip + $111 taxes and fees
Earlier today, American Airlines announced new seasonal New Zealand flights — a Los Angeles to Christchurch route and a Dallas to Auckland route. American already operates an existing New Zealand route — Los Angeles to Auckland.
You can go head down to New Zealand or Australia (during the peak season for the Southern Hemisphere) for as little as 10,000 AAdvantage miles round-trip. Just need a one-way? Those are also available, starting from 6,000 AAdvantage miles one-way. This definitely won’t last long.
In my quick search, I saw flights available from Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Dallas but other origin cities may be possible as well.
Props to Straight To The Points for finding this deal initially from LAX-AKL.
- Where: Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Dallas (DFW), New York City, other cities to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) and Sydney, Australia (SYD)
- When: February through April 2020 (sporadic dates)
- How Much: 6,000 AAdvantage miles one-way and 10,000 AAdvantage miles round-trip
- Why: The fewest miles I’ve ever seen required for a long-haul roundtrip flight on American (normally a MilesAAver award costs 40,000 miles ONE-WAY)
- How To Book: Book directly on American’s website, be sure to click on “economy web specials” and view the full calendar (use this link)
Calendar View For LAX-AKL
JFK-SYD Round-Trip Example
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.