SoFi is probably best known for its student and personal loan products, but they also have something called SoFi Money.
SoFi Money is an online cash management account with no physical bank branches (but deposits are held in partner banks meaning up to $1,500,000 in deposits are FDIC insured). SoFi provides a debit card and you can withdraw money from ATMs worldwide without a fee (and even third-party ATM fees are refunded). Everything is managed online or through their mobile app. And in case you were wondering, the company is legit.
At the moment, SoFi is offering $50 to anyone who signs up for an online cash management account and deposits $500 (SoFi Money) through a personal referral link (like mine here). The referrer also receives $50. That’s a quick 10% return on $500!
SoFi Money Benefits
I am incentivized for you to sign up for SoFi Money using my link, but the product is easy to make a case for, $50 signup bonus or not.
- ATM fees are reimbursed worldwide. Use any ATM machine and it’ll be reimbursed to you.
- No foreign transaction fees on debit card purchases.
- No account fees
- Modern website and app to manage your money with.
- A generous APY
In addition to the primary benefits, the account will offer Mastercard benefits detailed below.
Mastercard World Debit Benefits
SoFi recently witched from Visa to Mastercard. While they noted that “there are no changes to your existing SoFi Money benefits. You will continue to get a generous interest rate on all your cash, pay no account fees, and all of the other features you love with SoFi Money,” they are adding some new benefits.
The new benefits from Mastercard will include:
- Mastercard Airport Concierge™: Available 24/7/365 at over 450 destinations worldwide, cardholders get 15% off personal Meet and Greet agents to escort them through the airport on departure, arrival and/or any connecting flights and expedite them through the security and/or the immigration process (at participating airports).
- Cell phone protection: When you pay your cell phone bill with SoFi Debit Mastercard, In the event your phone is accidentally damaged or stolen you may be eligible to receive up to $200 per claim, $25 deductible, up to 2 claims per year. Unlimited lines associated with the cell phone bill.
- Mastercard golf: Provides discounted access to golf courses, complimentary grounds passes for PGA Tournaments, access to domestic and international golf travel packages, and more.
- Additional SoFi member experiences: On top of SoFi member experiences, SoFi Money Mastercard cardholders will have the opportunity to engage in bonus exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime experiences with the people they love in the cities where they live and travel.
- Enhanced security with credit monitoring, alerts for suspicious activity, and white-glove service to help you resolve issues with Mastercard ID Theft Protection™.
- Purchase assurance: May provide coverage for new items purchased with your SoFi World Debit Mastercard that are damaged or stolen within 90 days of the date of purchase, up to $1,000 per claim.
- Extended warranty: May double the original manufacturer’s (or store brand) warranty. Coverage is for eligible items purchased with your Mastercard.
Starting Out With SoFi
To deposit $500, you can link an existing banking institution to easily transfer funds to SoFi. After a couple of days, the $50 bonus should post onto your account. At this point, you can cash out your money if you’d like. Easy, peasy. And no monthly fees.
While I am incentivized if you use my link, this deal makes sense for everyone, no matter whose link you use. It’s a no brainer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Directly from SoFi:
Who can open a SoFi Money cash management account?
How easy is it to sign up for SoFi Money?
Are there any fees for having a SoFi Money account?
Does SoFi provide paper checks?
Here’s their full FAQs and key terms.
When I signed up for SoFi Money a few months ago it took about two minutes and since then, its become my primary way of managing cash while traveling internationally. The $50 referral bonus for signing up for an account using a referral link is nice but the account offers solid long-term value that makes it a must-have for any American traveling internationally.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.