I think my last two weeks in Topeka might have been even more unique than some of my recent trips overseas. Here are some of the more interesting things I learned:
1) The fields at MacLennan Park at Cedar Crest actually has visible historic ruts or swales, made by the wheels of countless wagons traveling the Oregon Trail more than 150 years ago that are still visible.
2)During a major snow storm…everyone in town goes to Outback, it was packed!
3) The Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site is the only unit of the national park system named after a U.S. Supreme Court case. Monroe Elementary School, one of the four segregated elementary schools for African American children in Topeka, is still standing and maintains those mini water fountains and elementary school smell.
4) No need to fly anywhere, in six days the temperature can increase 74 degrees!
5) The best BBQ in Topeka is located within a trailer park. Lonnie Q’s is by far the best I’ve ever had anywhere.
6) A 64 oz fish bowl is only $5 more than a 32 oz.
7) You can’t bring guns into public buildings.
8) Karaoke at Applebee’s is the place to be on Thursday nights. No joke…everyone heads here by 10 and there’s a huge line to get your chance at the mic.
9) Kansas is Oz-Some.
10) There are .99 cent margaritas on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday
11) Even the Italian restaurant has drink specials including $2 Italian Margs.
12) Wild Horse Saloon – Where Topeka Plays at Night! They also have $1 drinks on Weds, including any well drinks …Jack & Ketel included and it’s naughty school girl night.
…oh and this goes on
13) My favorite BBQ in Kansas City was Oklahoma Joe’s, located at the Shamrock gas station
14) Eat Beef