1) Pilots judge other pilots on their flying skills – It’s like there’s some secret point system. We had an incident on our approach to landing during which both nonflying pilots sized up the guy actually flying the plane. Just as the tarmac appeared beneath our plane, the engines roared and we suddenly climbed hard and began banking. While everyone else craned to look out the windows for an explanation, I looked at the pilots. The aisle pilot calmly said, “Oops.” The window pilot studied the runway, now far below us, before explaining that it looked like a plane on the ground had not quite cleared the runway while taxiing to its gate. “No point lost for our guy,” he said. “It was a good call. He did the right thing.”
2) Pilots don’t always tell passengers the truth – Following our missed landing, the pilot flying our plane confirmed over the PA what our aisle buddies had already told us. There had been a taxiing plane not quite clear of our intended landing strip. But not every pilot feels the need to be forthcoming, particularly when they are at fault. The aisle pilot told a story of a missed approach caused by pilot error. That pilot attempted to hide his mistake from passengers by blaming it on a nonexistent plane on the runway. What he did not know was that he told his fictional story to the control tower (which knew better), not to the passengers. Bad piloting and a finger on the wrong communication button put him at the very end of the line for his re-try.
3) Even pilots have travel bucket lists – It’s hard to believe that two pilots nearing the end of long careers flying the globe could have travel destinations yet to conquer, but both of these guys did. One wants to visit Ireland and has a trip planned there soon. The other confessed that when he travels for fun, it’s usually by car, but that he would love to spend time in Asia.
Melinda Crow of Yahoo! happened to read the first edition of “Secrets I Learned Sitting Next to an Airline Pilot” by her colleague and was lucky enough to have her own experience a few weeks later. Above are three of the secrets she learned while sitting next to two pilots. The remainder of the “secrets” can be viewed over at her post. Thanks to Mark from Yahoo! for sharing!
Other Related –
- 12 Surprising Things a Flight Attendant Can’t Do for You
- Ew! Latest Passenger Shaming – Underwear, Nudity, and Mid-Flight Rides…plus Feet!
- 30 Pilots and Flight Attendants Confess their “Best Kept Flying Secrets”
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant: #1 – Attack of the Ambien Zombies
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant: #2 – More Nudity & Sleeping Pills
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant: #3 – The 15 Most Ridiculous Things People Say on a Plane
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #4 –11 Strangest Things People Ask for on a Plane
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #5 – What Happens in the Bathroom Doesn’t Stay in the Bathroom!
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #6 – 15 Flying Tips That’ll Keep You Sane this Summer
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #7 – Fecal Matter & Maxi Pads
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #8 – Wheelchair Gaming the System
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #9 – Peeing in Cups & Breastfeeding Cats
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #10 – Drunks on a Plane
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #11 – Tales From the Mile High Club
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #12 – Smells on a Plane
- Confessions of a Fed-Up Flight Attendant #13 – The Worst People on the Plane
- Confessions of a Pilot #1: Debunking the Biggest Air Travel Myths
- Confessions of a Pilot #2: We Fly Blind!
- Confessions of a Pilot #3: Weirdo Pilots Edition – Smelly, Paranoid, and Narcoleptic…
- Confessions of a Concierge – Hotel Guests’ Craziest Requests
- Don’t Ask Flight Attendants these 10 Questions
- What Your Flight Attendant Really Thinks of You
- 10 Things You Should Never Say to a Flight Attendant
- 10 Signs You’re the Worst Person on Your Flight
- 16 Alarming Airline Secrets
- Nine Dirty Little Secrets of the Travel Industry
- 29 Things Your Pilot Won’t Tell You
- 7 Things Your Flight Attendant Wants You to Know
- What Do Flight Attendants Think of You…and your requests?
- The Unsurprising & Scary Confessions of a Regional Jet Pilot…sleeping in trailers at the airport
- How Much Do Singapore Airlines Flight Attendants Get Paid for Providing Great Service?
- Say What? Overheard on the Plane Edition 28 – Crazy Things Passengers Say to Flight Attendants